Apple officially released iOS 13, the update will be available to all users gradually. iOS 13 is compatible with iPhone SE, iPhone 6s and later, seventh generation iPod Touch. Update 13.1 and the iPad version of the system will be released in less than a week: Apple released them on September 24th. So let’s get to know about the latest features and enhancements, app updates, and more in iOS 13 for iPhone.
Dark theme is the main visual change in iOS 13, which completely switches the system interface, wallpapers and all standard applications to black and gray shades. This mode is suitable for use at night and in dimly lit places, such as cinemas, as the screen backlight less tiring the eyes and does not bother others.
Also, a Dark Mode can be useful for owners of iPhone with OLED displays (iPhone X, iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max) due to the peculiarities of the screen: black pixels do not light up, but turn off, which reduces battery consumption.
The activation of the Dark Mode is configured: you can turn it on forcibly through the button in the “Control Center”, according to the schedule, or select the “From Dusk Till Dawn” mode. In addition to the dark theme – four pairs of desktop wallpapers with light and dark shades, they can be automatically activated depending on the theme. Own backgrounds of the user can also be adapted to the theme of design.
Major updates to the apps
In iOS 13, updates received some standard applications: Safari introduced a full-fledged download manager, “Reminders” changed the design, and “Photos”, according to Apple, turned into a “user life diary”.
The application has changed the appearance of the main screen: all user media files are now formed into collages – by days, months and years. The application automatically selects the best frames and parts of the frame for the preview, removes similar shots and clutter, documents and screenshots, and videos and live photos are played automatically.
You can scale the tape and enlarge the pictures on the main screen of the application with a pinch, as with normal scaling. The application also shows the titles of events and, for example, the names of the performers at concerts, displays photos depending on the context (these may be annual photos on the child’s birthday), and the soundtracks in the Memories take into account the user’s preferences in Music.
A full-fledged video editor appeared: you can not only crop clips, but also apply color filters to them, adjust exposure, sharpness, brightness and saturation. Video editing is supported for all formats, including slow motion 1080p with 240 FPS and 4K video with 60 FPS.
New Notes interface
The application has a viewing mode in the form of a gallery, and the search recognizes text, objects and places in the pictures in notes. Notes can be sorted by folders and subfolders, share them.
Now the application consists of four sections: “Today”, “Scheduled”, “Everything” and “With a flag”. Reminders are grouped by lists with customizable colors and icons, you can add subtasks and attachments – photos, location, documents and links, and combine lists.
Apple also claims that Siri will be able to create reminders based on the analysis of correspondence in the “Messages”.
The start page has been updated in the browser: in addition to selected and frequently visited sites, a section with the latest open sites has appeared, as well as Siri recommendations based on the browser history, sent links and other messages.
A full-fledged download manager has appeared – Safari can download any files in the background and save them to the phone or iCloud. Download history – in a separate list where you can manage and track their status.
The View menu has changed: now you can adjust the scale, turn on the reading mode, open the desktop version of the site and control access to the camera, microphone and location. All settings will be individual for each site.
When uploading photos using Safari, you can select the desired size and quality, and pages of the site – send by mail a link, a PDF file and in read mode. Safari also warns if a user chooses a weak password when registering on the site.
The built-in file manager received support for ZIP archives, shared folders in iCloud, document scanning and support for USB drives, SD cards, SSDs, hard drives, SMB file servers. Downloads from Safari and Mail are integrated into the Files – downloaded files will be displayed in the Downloads folder.
The new application combines the functions “Find iPhone” and “Find Friends”. Now the user can find the stolen device, even if it is in sleep mode and is not connected to the Internet. To do this, “Find My” uses a “collective search”: a stolen or lost device sends encrypted Bluetooth signals to nearby Apple devices, and they send data about its location to the cloud. This information is received by the owner of the missing device.
The function uses end-to-end encryption, therefore it works only when the user has at least two Apple devices: the signal is transmitted as a public key, which is encrypted on other people’s devices and decrypted only on the user’s devices.
Sign in with Apple and other security enhancements
Apple introduced its authorization system using Apple ID, which will work in applications and on sites. It will allow you to enter a third-party service through iCloud, hiding real mail. Where authorization is required to specify an email address, the user will be able to generate a random one from which Apple will redirect all letters to a real address in iCloud.
Authorization through Apple ID is authenticated by Face ID or Touch ID. Apple will oblige developers to implement authorization through Apple ID in applications, if it offers to use Google, Facebook and other services for login.
Access control to the user’s location has also changed – now you can provide data only once or only at the request of the application. If the application uses location data in the background, including via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, iOS 13 will send a notification – how many times the data has been collected and where, – and will offer to change access settings.
When a user sends a photo to the network, in the sending settings you can remove the geolocation from the image metadata. Also, iOS 13 restricts the collection of data from VoIP applications and instant messengers by disabling part of the API for collecting data in the background.
At the same time with the release of iOS 13, Apple Arcade subscription games service will launch, which will work through the App Store on iPhone, iPad, macOS and Apple TV. Only premium games without micropayments and in-app purchases will be presented in Arcade – projects are selected by Apple moderators. All games are available without an internet connection.
At launch, Apple promises about 150 games, some of which are exclusive to iOS. Cross-platform service: you can start the game on the phone and continue playing on the Apple TV or other device. Subscription price – $4.99 per month for six users.
Also in iOS, native support for gamepads from PlayStation 4 and Xbox One has appeared – they are directly connected to devices via Bluetooth.
Text Editing: new gestures for working with text
- A full-fledged scroll bar has appeared for quick navigation through pages and documents. To do this, hold down the scroll bar and pull it in the desired direction.
- To quickly select a sentence you need to tap on it three times, and to select the entire paragraph – four times.
- Swipe with three fingers to the left cancels the input, and to the right – will repeat the action.
- A short tap with three fingers will open a mini-panel of text tools.
- To copy the selected text fragment, you can bring three fingers together on the screen, a double gesture will cut the fragment. To insert, you need to spread three fingers.
Apple says the new version of the system has become even faster. For example, Face ID recognition has accelerated by 30% compared to iOS 12, and applications run twice as fast. Their size decreased by half during the first download from the App Store, and the size of updates decreased on average by 60%.
Briefly about the little things
- In iOS 12, you couldn’t download or update an app larger than 200 MB over the mobile Internet. In the update, Apple removed the restriction.
- In the settings of “Phone” appeared the function of ignoring unknown numbers. When activated, iOS will block all incoming calls if the phone number is not in Contacts.
- The volume slider has become more compact and moved to the top of the screen.
- In the “Control Center”, a long tap on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth allows you to select the desired network or device without having to go into the settings. Also in the “Control Center” appeared a QR-code scanner.
- Support for third-party fonts has appeared, they can be installed through the App Store.
- Swipe typing appeared in the keyboard, but in iOS 13.0 it does not work, for example, with the Russian layout.
- Lyrics in “Music” are now displayed and work in karaoke format.
- Added support for the mouse.
- In the App Store, the Updates tab has been replaced with Arcade. To manually update apps, you need to tap on the user profile in the App Store in the upper right corner and pull down the panel that opens.
- In the new application update panel, you can delete by swiping to the left, like letters in Mail.
- 3D Touch gestures were replaced with a long hold. Now to remove the application you have to hold your finger on the icon for four to five seconds. First, the menu from the 3D Touch gesture will open, you must ignore it (or select “Change application order” from the menu).
- In the “Books” app, you can set a goal for daily reading by setting the necessary time.
- In the application “Health” appeared tracking women’s cycles.
- Updated “Maps”: improved detail, added panorama view. In 2019, the maps of the United States will be updated.
- Memoji stickers have appeared, they can be used on devices without a TrueDepth camera (front camera on iPhone X, Xr, Xs).
iOS 13.1 update
Apple postponed some of the features planned for iOS 13 until the first major system update, which was released on September 24th.
For example, a script automation system will appear in the “Quick Commands” application, you can share your location in Apple Maps, scroll with the mouse, and icons of connected accessories, for example, AirPods, will be displayed on the new volume control panel. Also, iOS will allow you to share music with a second pair of AirPods.
On September 24th, Apple released iPadOS, a version of the operating system for tablets. It will support widgets on the iPad home screen, and will also improve multitasking: it will be possible to launch several windows of one application, for example, two Microsoft Word documents and drag and drop their contents.
In iOS 13.1, Apple promises to increase stability – in the release version of the system there are crashes and hangs of applications and general failures. They faced both the Russian bloggers and The Verge reporters, who recommend waiting for iOS 13.1 to be released.